Basil & Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast
This is a recipe that I found in a low fat cookbook and have modified slightly. It is a very tasty and light meal, with a rich and savory texture
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons neufchatel cheese (light cream cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roma tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 -8 toothpicks, to hold prepared stuffing
- In a small bowl, combine feta, cream cheese, tomatos and basil, season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Be sure chicken breasts are even thickness, spread cheese mixture along rough side of chicken breast and roll breasts, secure with toothpick.
- Coat outside of chicken breast with olive oil and again season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet, add chicken cook until brown on all sides, then add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer until chicken is cooked through, and juices run clear.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add 1 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil, add spinach and cook until just limp.
- To serve, divide the spinach among 4 plates and add chicken breasts to top,
- Add a bit of zest with fresh lemon juice on top of plates.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This turned out great! I wish there was more instruction however as to how to roll up the chicken since some like me don't have much experience in the matter. I tried a few different ways and finally found one that worked ok but it wasn't great... Definately no pretty effect through the middle lol. I also wasn't sure how thin I should pound them out to since it didn't really say. I opted not to make the spinach but followed the rest of the cooking instructions up to it. Although it ended up spilling out in places it still had plenty inside to flavor the chicken and it was a pleasant flavor. We left out the tomatoes only because neither of us likes them. Once I get better at stuffing chicken breasts I may try this one again!Reply
see 2 more