Banh Mi Breakfast Bialy
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 carrot, cut in matchstick strips
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, thinly sliced in coins
- 1 (426 g) package pc bialys buns
- 6 slices smoked black forest ham
- 2 teaspoons pc 100% pure canola oil
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup English cucumber, cut in matchstick strips
- 1⁄3 cup sprigs fresh cilantro
- Make Pickles: Place carrot in bowl; sprinkle with 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar and the salt. Massage with hands for 1 minute or until carrot bends without breaking. Place in colander; rinse and drain, pressing out excess water. In separate bowl, stir 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar with 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water until dissolved. Stir in vinegar. Add carrot, onion and jalapeño; submerge in liquid. Cover and let stand for 1 hour at room temperature to pickle or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Toast bialys, leaving whole. Top evenly with ham.
- Heat half of oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Crack 3 eggs into pan; cook sunny side up for 3 minutes or until whites are set. Place one egg on each bialy. Repeat with remaining oil and eggs.
- Stir together cucumber and 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the drained pickled vegetables in bowl; divide among bialys. Top with cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!