Banana-Sour Cream Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
photo by bmaggiemay
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix (2-layer size)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed (about 3 bananas)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour 13 x 9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Beat cake mix, eggs, bananas, sour cream and oil in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, stopping frequently to scrape bottom and side of bowl.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating after each addition until well blended.
- Remove cake from pan, cut crosswise in half.
- Place one cake half, top-side down, on large serving plate.
- spread top with frosting.
- Top with remaining cake half, top-side up.
- Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Carefully press walnuts into frosting on side of cake.
- Store any leftovers in refrigerator.
- Tip: Neatly frost this cake by freezing cake layers about 20 minutes before frosting.
- This helps to set the crumbs on the cut edges of the cake layers so they don't pull up into the frosting.
- Don't worry if the frosting doesn't look perfect on the sides of the cake; the walnuts will cover any imperfections.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Marvelous, dense cake. I had a chocolate cake mix in the pantry so I used that, and instead of walnuts I stirred a few spoonfuls of peanut butter into the frosting. Mine took about 45 minutes to bake completely through in a bundt pan. The banana taste was very pronounced, and the cake got demolished at the barbecue we just came from. Also, this recipe lends itself very well to "healthifying" as I used non-fat sour cream, lower fat cream cheese and only about 1 tablespoon of butter in the frosting. Much lower in calories and still so delicious that nobody even noticed. An excellent addition to the recipe book.
I didn't make this, but my aunt did and brought it over, it was wonderfully flavored and moist. I might up the banana to 1 1/2 cups because we like a lot of banana taste, but it was fine as is! It was dense and the frosting stands up well to the texture. My dh had it and said he liked it better than my from scratch cheesecake I had made a few days before. Even though I was a little bummed (come on, a boxed cake mix?!) It's nice to know something so good is so easy to make!
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Update: I have changed my profile picture in honor of my dear best friend and loyal companion that I lost to cancer on 6/25/11. Maxx was the best dog that anyone could ever hope to have in their life. Until we meet again, sweet boy, you will be forever in my heart and memories. I currently live in the country with two dogs (a 12 pound poodle mix named Suki and a new member to the family, a 7-month old(?) 7.5 pound terrier mix named Angel ). I got Angel from the dog pound a week after I lost my beloved Maxx. Suki and I both needed a new companion to help us cope with our loss. Nothing will ever replace Maxx, but she has helped to uplift Suki's spirit. I am a secretary for a county school board. I love to cook, bake, crochet, paint, sew, read and anything to do with crafts. I was born in Tokyo,Japan. My father was in the Air Force and my moher was Japanese. I love to cook (and eat) a variety of foods from many different nations. I especially like trying out new recipes and experimenting with both old and new recipes. I also love participating in the great Zaar events like the tag games, recipe swaps, and Zaar World Tours. I recently participated in my first RSC contest. I have definitely had a lot of fun since joining Recipezaar. Update - September 20, 2007 I am proud to announce that I have just been blessed with my first grandchild. My son and daughter-in-law have given me a beautiful little granddaughter. [URL=http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x147/Crafty_Lady_13/?action=view¤t=f6fd3ae3.pbw][IMG]http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x147/Crafty_Lady_13/th_102_0365-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Make Reservation Online Create your own visitor map *************************************************** [Reply]</p>