Balinese Rice Salad
photo by kymgerberich
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup prepared mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 cups bean sprouts (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup drained baby corn
- 1⁄2 cup toasted peanuts or 1/2 cup cashews
- In a blender, puree all the dressing ingredients until smooth.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the rice, pineapple, scallions, celery, peppers, and raisins.
- Add the dressing and toss well.
- Gently mix the sprouts and baby corn or scatter them on tap if you prefer.
- Garnish with nuts.
- Serve at room temperature or chill for about 30 minutes.
- Toast nuts in a single layer on an un-oiled baking tray at 350F for about 5 minutes, until golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I've had this recipe in my cookbook for awhile and just around to making it. Wish I hadn't waited! This is so wonderful - with summer coming up, this one will be a standard for us. Pair this with fish or chicken on the grill for a fabulous and different side dish. I made the rice the day before so it was really quick and easy to put this together at the last minute. At dressing is tart and super flavorful - the pinapple adds just the right sweet taste and the nuts and celery give it a perfect crunch. I left out the sprouts and raisins - we don't like either of them. Really good!
I didn't have all the ingredients for this recipe but it sounded so good I made it with what I had. I used Tomato Chutney instead of Mango. I didn't have bean sprouts or baby corn, so just left them out. It was a hit at the pot luck. I think it would be better with the mango chutney and will definitely make it again using mango.
I have a lot in common with your other reviewers -- I also have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to make this awesome dish, and chose a potluck as well! I left out the mini corns and put peanuts in a small bowl on the side so they wouldn't get soggy and also in case of allergies. This really made a lot so it was perfect for the gathering. It is absolutely beautiful and was loved by everyone, vegetarian or not! Thanks!
Excellent! I also changed this slightly to make it more healthy, luckily it is just one of those dishes that you can get away with changing! I didn't add the salt or the oil and used light soya sauce. I used frozen rice as I always have left over rice in my freezer. Orange juice instead of pineapple juice, corn kernels instead of baby corn and almonds instead of peanuts. Also as I didn't have a tin of pineapple I used dried pineapple. Wow what a delishous, healthy, colourful rice salad! I served with my Orange Teriyaki Fish for a very tasty, healthy meal. Thanks for sharing.