Bagels (In Metric Converstion for Europeans)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 560 g all-purpose flour
- 35 g white sugar
- 10 g salt
- 5 g active dry yeast
- 395 ml water
- 25 g margarine
- 10 g white sugar
- 10 g salt
- Mix together the unsifted flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, yeast, water, and butter in the bread machine on the manual setting.
- OR, mix 1-1/2 cup flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, and yeast.
- Heat water and butter to 120-130°F.
- Add water to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed on mixer.
- Add 1/2 cup flour, beat at high speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in more flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead 8-10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise.
- Punch down.
- Cover; let rest 15 minutes.
- Remove from bread machine.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces; shape 3 pieces into smooth balls.
- Poke a 1-inch hole in each.
- Drop bagels into a large skillet with 1 inch water (simmering) with 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 teaspoons salt in the water.
- Cook on medium low heat for 3 minutes, turn and cook 2 minutes; turn again, cook 1 minute more.
- Drain on towels.
- Repeat for rest of dough.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from sheets and cool.
- If desired, before baking, mix 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water, brush on bagels, and sprinkle with sesame, poppy, or caraway seeds.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION