photo by Tramadar
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 3 ounces dried chilies, new mexico, california, or similar
- 20 dried chilies, de arbol depending on how hot you like the sauce
- 8 cups boiling water
- 14 roma tomatoes, 10 peeled 4 unpeeled
- 1 1⁄2 onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup cilantro
- Clean chilies with a damp cloth, then pull of the stems and remove the seeds and veins "I keep the seeds for the chili arbol because I like it hotter".
- Place peppers in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in 350°F oven for 2 to 5 minutes or until you smell a sweet roasted aroma, checking often to avoid burning.
- Remove from oven and soak in the boiling water for about 30 minutes or until cool "I like to break up the chilies before I soak them".
- Put peppers and 2 cups of the soaking water into a blender "Add more if the sauce is too thick, it will thicken slightly after simmered".
- Add 10 peeled tomatoes, 1/2 onion, garlic, salt, vinegar, lime juice, sherry and brown sugar "If you do not know how to peel tomatoes check out this instructional video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmLR5ayrJzU".
- Blend until smooth "Can be done in batches if the blender is too small".
- Pour the mixture in a medium saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Dice up the remaining vegetables into cubes and add to the sauce.
- Chill over night.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!