Aarsi’s Ultimate Potato Patties
photo by Aarsis Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 3 russet potatoes, boiled, peeled and semi mashed
- 2 green chili peppers, seeded and split
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons table salt, plus more according to taste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 puff pastry sheets, thawed (I use store bought)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon tap water
- Pre-heat the oven at 375 degree.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add turmeric powder, green chilies and onions along with the salt. Sauté until the onions are translucent. Do not brown them.
- Add the potatoes along with coriander powder, red chili powder and the garam masala.
- With regular stirring, cook the potatoes until the mixture starts coming together.
- Now, add the lemon juice and coriander leaves. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture completely cool.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the egg along with 1 Tbsp of water and keep aside.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Coat this with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Unfold the thawed pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- If there are ridges in the pastry sheet, gently flatten them with a rolling pin.
- Cut the sheet into either four 5-inch-by-5-inch or six 4-inch-by-4-inch squares.
- Place about 2 Tbsp of potato mixture in the center of each square. I use an ice-cream scoop to make sure that al the patties have equal amount of filling.
- Brush all the four sides with the egg and water solution.
- Take the opposite sides of the square and fold to create a triangle. Seal the ends tight with your fingers. Then crimp them with a fork.
- Place the filled patties on the baking tray.
- Brush the tops and sides of these patties with the egg and water solution.
- With a knife, create a small slit on top of each pastry. This will help the steam to escape during the baking.
- Bake the patties on the medium rack of a pre-heated oven until they are golden brown in color and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with tomato ketchup.
- Enjoy these savory patties with your loved ones!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!