24 Hour Cucumber Pickles With Chile Peppers
- Ready In:
3 -4 quarts
- 5 medium English cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium hot red chili peppers, fresh, halved lengthwise
- Do not peel the cucumbers. Wash them well and cut into slices.
- Place the cucumber, onion, celery seed and salt in a bowl and refrigerate for half an hour. Toss several times.
- Simmer the white vinegar, lime juice, raspberry vinegar and sugar in a saucepan, heating just long enough to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the dried red chilies, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Pack the cucumber and onion slices into sterile jars. Slip half a red hot pepper, facing outwards, down the side of each jar. Ladle the vinegar brine over, making sure the contents are entirely covered in liquid.
- Seal the jars with sterilized lids.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!