Recipe by Dib's
This will help get rid on your zucchini glut in a tasty way!
Top Review by lioralourie
Really good casserole! Some tips: I would recommend cooking the zucchini pretty thoroughly, until soft. Maybe it's the type of local zucchini I used (I live in China) or that the pieces were a little large, but the pieces continued to cook some in the casserole and so leached out a bit of water, making the casserole a bit looser than it would've been. Instead of bread crumbs, I used crushed corn flakes with italian seasonings for the topping--yum! And since I was low on parmesan, I used only about 1/4 cup--adding some wheat germ and whole corn flakes to round out the casserole and bulk it up a bit. It turned out yummy!
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 1⁄4 cups parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Progresso Italian-style fine bread crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 1 and 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Melt 1/2 the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Sauté zucchini in butter until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, red pepper, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini and toss gently to mix.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and even the top.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the parmesan cheese.
- Melt the remaining butter, drizzle onto crumb mixture and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle on the casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes.