Recipe by zeldaz51
From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1/4 bread, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegan version)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups lightly packed coarsely chopped escarole
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion top
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-qt saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and water and bring to a boil;.
- Add the zucchini, dill, and poultry seasoning and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add the escarole through the salt. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle with the scallion to serve.