Recipe by Potatohead
This a great way to use up those "monsters" you find after vacation. Just remove seeds and shred!
Top Review by Mary Scheffert
This is an excellent chocolate cake that just happens to have zucchini in it! I have tried other cakes with this combination, but they usually have cinnamon in them, and I don't like the taste of cinnamon & chocolate :P -- so I was very happy to have found this recipe. I substituted 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for the oil (I figured there was enough fat from the 1/2 cup of butter), and I added a 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter with the shredded zucchini. While the cake was still warm, I frosted it with some left-over caramel frosting & topped it with about a cup of chopped walnuts. The chocolate chips made the cake even more chocolatey, and the caramel frosting & nuts made it even more fabulous! This is a great recipe, which I will be making again - thanks for posting! -M :-)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk (add 1/2 tsp. lemon juice to milk)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- sugar or white chocolate chips or your choice nuts or coconut (if you wish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter,oil and sugar well.
- Add remaining ingredients through zucchini and pour into greased and floured 9x13 cake pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar, chips, and nuts.
- I chose white chips simply to add some color to the top of the cake.
- It's also great to use coconut instead of the chips, and drizzle the top with melted chocolate after it's cooled a bit.
- Bake in a 325 oven for 45 minutes.
- Test with toothpick.
- If underbaked it's like a brownie!