Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This a great way to use up those "monsters" you find after vacation. Just remove seeds and shred!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk (add 1/2 tsp. lemon juice to milk)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- sugar or white chocolate chips or your choice nuts or coconut (if you wish) (optional)
- Cream butter,oil and sugar well.
- Add remaining ingredients through zucchini and pour into greased and floured 9x13 cake pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar, chips, and nuts.
- I chose white chips simply to add some color to the top of the cake.
- It's also great to use coconut instead of the chips, and drizzle the top with melted chocolate after it's cooled a bit.
- Bake in a 325 oven for 45 minutes.
- Test with toothpick.
- If underbaked it's like a brownie!
This is an excellent chocolate cake that just happens to have zucchini in it! I have tried other cakes with this combination, but they usually have cinnamon in them, and I don't like the taste of cinnamon & chocolate :P -- so I was very happy to have found this recipe. I substituted 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for the oil (I figured there was enough fat from the 1/2 cup of butter), and I added a 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter with the shredded zucchini. While the cake was still warm, I frosted it with some left-over caramel frosting & topped it with about a cup of chopped walnuts. The chocolate chips made the cake even more chocolatey, and the caramel frosting & nuts made it even more fabulous! This is a great recipe, which I will be making again - thanks for posting! -M :-)