- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb pork, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 large zucchini, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; saute chopped meat and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is browned and onion is tender.
- Season with fennel, salt and pepper.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch casserole.
- Cover bottom with 1/2 of the bread cubes and lay down a layer of zucchini slices.
- Pour meat and onion mixture over top and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and 1/4 cup romano cheese.
- Top with another layer of zucchini slices and a layer of remaining bread cubes.
- Dot top with butter and sprinkle with remaining romano cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes until casserole is bubbly and top is nicely browned.