Recipe by Hippie2MARS
This dish is very rich, but oh so good! You can use lower fat sour cream and margarine in the dish and not affect the taste. You can also add yellow squash for a more colorful dish.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
This was a different way to use up some zucchini and have a vegetarian meal. I think it went over well as it made a bunch and there's only a little left! I had to use yogurt for the sour cream and I think it gave it a little more tangy flavor. Will use low-fat sour cream next time. Added some eggplant and yellow squash. Used 1 leek and 1/2 small red onion. I added some garlic powder and think this recipe is good for seasoning however your preferences are. Might try oregano next time and would increase the veggies and decrease the sour cream a little. You don't need to parboil the zucchini for 15 minutes! Only a couple minutes, or better yet, steam them or saute them with the carrots and onions. I boiled them for 5 min. and they were mushy. Thanks!
- 4 -5 zucchini, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups cheddar-flavor croutons, separated
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Parboil zucchini for 15 minutes; put in strainer to drain while preparing rest of dish.
- Saute' carrots and onion in 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Lightly toss the carrot/onion mixture with the zucchini in a casserole dish.
- Whisk together the soup, salt, pepper, and sour cream.
- Add soup mixture to the vegetables in the casserole dish.
- Add 1 cup of the croutons.
- Mix lightly to combine ingredients.
- Coat the remaining croutons with the last tablespoon of butter and scatter over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.