Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These little cakes served in a luminous red pepper sauce, are likely to convert those who arent excited about zucchini. Perfect vegetarian lunch.
- 2 eggs
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated zucchini, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup self raising flour
red pepper puree
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large red capsicum
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water
- In a medium sized bowl beat the eggs to combine white and yolks. Crush the garlic clove into the salt and add the paste to the eggs. Mix again.
- Add the firmly packed grated zucchini and the parmesan cheese, then stir in enough self raising flour to make a batter of fritter consistency.
- Drop batter into hot oil 5 mm deep, a TBSP at a time to make small cakes. Turn when golden brown. Lower heat if nescessary and cook until centres are firm. serve with the following sauce.
- RED PEPPER PUREE'.
- finely chop onion, garlic, and capsicum.
- Saute' in the butter or oil until transparent.
- Add water, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Puree' then press through a sieve. Boil down to thicken, if nescessary, then season carefully and serve hot.
Very good and elegant looking. I had a little trouble with the cakes breaking up, but I think it was because my eggs were too big to it was a little too wet. I restarted using smaller eggs, and I also pan fried them like I do with fried chicken. That worked out perfectly. The puree was very beautiful in color and tasted great! I think I'd add some cracked black pepper to the cakes. I served with shaved parmesan over the top of both. Made and Reviewed for Tag It Red game - Thanks! :)