Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick, savory side dish that includes veggies and starch in one with enough bacon and cheese that it may make a meat unnecessary. Its healthier cooked in olive oil but if you want to indulge substitute bacon grease. Prep time does not include cooking the bacon.
- 1 lb rotini pasta or 1 lb bow tie pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 -2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 -4 zucchini (~8 inch) or 2 zucchini and 2 yellow squash, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese, divided
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a very large skillet (I like to use my cast iron chicken fryer), and begin to saute onion on medium-high heat.
- When onion is half cooked add squash and saute, stirring frequently until onion is browned and squash is nearly cooked.
- Add bacon, Parmesan, and black pepper. Cover and let rest 3-5 minutes to soften cheese.
- Toss with hot pasta and 1/4 cup Asiago cheese. Turn into serving dish. Top with remaining Asiago Cheese.
This is delicious!! It was great warm, cold, and re-heated as leftovers :) I used zucchini and yellow squash, substituted fresh mozzarella for the asiago cheese, and added one small can sliced black olives. It was very simple and quick to make...it makes a lot so I'm glad it was good because my husband and I were eating leftovers for days!! Makes for a great main dish or side dish...thanks for a great recipe!!
This was great! Made for Spring 2008 PAC and glad I picked this. Made with rainbow rotini since that is what I had in the pantry and it turned out great. My DH was running a little late from work so this got done before he got home and cooled off so was a warm/cool salad; it is just as good cold!! Will be making this summer for family get-togethers since they like zucchini too (unlike DH). Thanks!!
Delicious! And highly recommended always, including as one is beginning to recover from the flu. Savory, rich but not too rich, not acidic at all and comforting. And EASY. I made it with olive oil, and had already- cooked bacon in the frig which made it super easy. Make this, folks! You'll be happy you did.