Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great lower calorie version of a superbowl favorite.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can reduced-sodium stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium tomato puree
- 15 ounces kidney beans
- 15 ounces black beans
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- hot sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a deep saucepan over medium high heat, saute onion and pepper in olive oil for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add ground turkey and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and tomato puree and turn heat to low.
- Add beans and spices and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
- Add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
I made this recipe exactly as written. I really liked the heartiness of this chili, and I especially liked that it was made healthier with the ground turkey. It had the right amount of heat and I enjoyed the hint of sweetness from the brown sugar. The amount of cinnamon was a little strong for my taste. I think the next time I make this chili I am only going to cut the amount of cinnamon in half. Made for Dec 2010 Bargain Basement Tag.