Recipe by waynejohn1234
This is from a vegetarian friend and easy to make. You can heat it up as much as you like.
Top Review by WhatamIgonnaeatnext?
This was an interesting recipe. My husband and I both liked it. I assumed that "cheese crackers" meant cheese-its or cheese nips, but I think I was wrong. The reason being that I had to use way more than 30 crackers. Probably more like 90. I used about half the box. It was good, however, we both think it would be better as a dip. It would be awesome used as a dip, not so much as a main course. We both tried using tortillas to dip it, and it was great that way. Thanks for posting. This was made for "Name that Ingredient Tag Game- Fall 2013"
- 30 cheese crackers
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn kernels, well drained
- 1 cup salsa (mild or hot)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and softened
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust - In a food processor or blender pulse crackers until they resemble coarse crumbs.
- In a bowl, combine crackers and butter.
- Press into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes.
- For the filling - Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened.
- Add garlic and cumin and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in beans, corn and salsa.
- Bring to a boil and add cream cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted and the mixture holds together - about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread evenly over cooked crust.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes
- Remember oven do vary but needs to be heated thru completely.