Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Recipe originates from my mother's (Olga's) famous Viennese recipe book, and has been a family favorite for decades.
- 4 lbs lean pot roast beef
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 slices rye bread, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- maggi seasoning or soy sauce
- paprika, to taste
- Preheat Oven to 350F degrees.
- Wash meat, remove all extra fat.
- Add paprika and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with Maggi.
- Let it stand for an hour.
- User deep oven proof casserole on stove, remove lid and heat butter slowly; Place meat into casserole until it looks golden.
- add sliced onion and stir for a few minutes.
- Place meat on top of the onions and place uncovered casserole into preheated oven at 350F for about 30 minutes or until meat is dark golden.
- Add broth, garlic, bread, and cover casserole.
- Lower oven heat to 250F, and place it into oven for approximately 3 hours.
- While in oven, stir gravy occasionally.
- When done, lift meat out and put on a separate plate to allow to cool.
- Pour gravy, onion, garlic, bread mixture into food processor and blend.
- Place gravy into refrigerator.
- After gravy has congealed in refrigerator, remove all fat from top.
- Place pot roast into refrigerator after it has cooled.
- Before serving pot roast dinner, heat refrigerated gravy and stir.
- Take the cold pot roast and slice it, then gently heat the slices in the gravy, ready to eat.
great pot roast very good flavor
The best. Its flavor originated the phrase: "grandma, you can cook for me anytime !"