Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My auntie out here in Australia made this for me and at first, I hesitated as I picked out a piece. but once I'd tasted it? mmm! It is so easy to make (I do it now whilst heavily engrossed in tv programmes like CSI where you really need to concentrate...that's how easy it is) and takes about 25 mins (max) in total. then you have to refrigerate it, but it's worth the wait!! It's great to snack on and I like to think that it's healthy (despite the butter, sugar and honey) because it contains seeds! *SPECIAL TREAT - when you have toasted the seed mix, if you let it cool completely - you could add chocolate chips. this has just occurred to me so I will be trying it next time!*
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup soft brown sugar
- 125 g butter
- Mix the seeds, coconut and oats in a bowl.
- Heat a little oil in a pan, and toast the mix on a light-medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until it turns golden (but before it burns!).
- Remove from heat, and pour back into the bowl to cool. once cool, add the sultanas.
- In a small saucepan, add the honey, sugar and butter and heat gently until the butter has completely melted (this may be easier if you chop the butter into smaller cubes). now, turn up the heat and bring to the boil while constantly stirring the mixture. as soon as it comes to the boil, turn the heat right down and let it bubble (without stirring) for approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and pour over the muesli mix. work the syrup through the muesli completely to ensure it is all moist.
- Take a dish (grease the edges lightly with a dab of oil, or use baking paper) and press the mixture firmly into it. obviously you can use whatever shape you like, but beware that if it is too thick, it becomes very difficult to cut once it is refrigerated.
- Put in the fridge and let it set.
- Eat it! YUMMY! mmm.
I made these with my 4 year old, it was very messy but heaps of fun! We doubled the mixture so we could share with family and friends. They were delicious and so easy. Will definately make again. My 4 year old has asked if we could add choc chips next time....i think we could manage that!