Recipe by Droopy Drawers, By Lucy Lastic
Thess cupcakes are simply the best!! Simple to make, and oh so yummo!
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
Really a lemony cupcake with strawberry frosting, these really are yummo, and super easy to make. Sour cream in the batter is a really nice touch. We had to bake them over 25 minutes, however, and suggest that times may vary by climate and oven. Made for OZ/NZ swap, Feb 08.
- 225 g self raising flour, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g butter, softened
- 175 g caster sugar
- 250 ml sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 125 ml milk
- 4 ripe strawberries
- 250 g icing sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 180c, (350f), line a 12 hole cupcake pan with paper cases.
- Sift the flour and salt into large mixing bowl. Add all the other ingredients, except for the icing ingredients.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until combined and smooth.
- Spoon mixture evenly into paper cases, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Or till golden and firm to the touch, and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the Icing:.
- Mash the strawberries with a fork, combine with the sifted icing sugar and beat until smooth. Adding more Icing sugar if needed. Spread over cakes and store in an airtight container once icing has set.
- To make a lemon icing, combine 125gm Icing sugar, 20gm of soft butter and 1 - 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
- For Orange cupcakes, substitute the milk with 125ml of freshly squeezed orange juice, and add 1 tablespoon of finely grated orange zest to the cake batter.