Sweet Strawberry Cupcakes from Sprinkles Cupcake Shop
photo by emmajane.torres
- Ready In:
- 1hr 22mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup pureed strawberry (use all-natural frozen that have been thawed)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
SPRINKLES STRAWBERRY FROSTING
- 1 cup unsalted butter, firm but not cold
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pureed strawberries (use all-natural frozen that have been thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a 12 cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Add vanilla and strawberry puree to milk and set aside.
- In standing mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add egg and egg whites and mix on medium speed until blended.
- With mixer on low speed, add half the flour mixture until just blended.
- Add milk mixture and mix just until blended.
- Add remaining flour mixture and mix just until blended. Scrape down bowl to make sure entire mixture is smooth.
- Divide batter between 12 cupcake cups and bake for approx 22 minutes or until tops are just dry to the touch.
- Frosting: Beat butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed and gradually add confectioner's sugar and beat until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and strawberry puree and mix until blended. Do not overmix, or the frosting will incorporate too much air. The consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice-cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is for the cupcake only - which was yummy but totally did not taste anywhere near like a "sweet strawberry" cupcake. It had a nice, tight crumb and a great buttery taste but the strawberry taste was REALLY subtle. Plus, the quantity is off - I needed 18 cupcakes so I doubled the recipe and ended up with 36! Which means that 1 recipe would yield 18, not 12. I am saving this babies by adding in a homemade strawberry filling (and giving a butt load away! lol!)
Made these for DD"s 3rd bday bc she wanted something pink. I loved that this recipe doesn't call for strawberry jello or strawberry jam but uses real strawberries. My cupcakes were ready at 19 min so keep a close eye on them when the bake, I thought the first batch that I baked for 21 min were over cooked. I ended up using 6 TBS of puree in the frosting to get the flavor that was right for us. I also added pink gel coloring to the cupcake and frosting.