Recipe by * Pamela *
I saw this on Oprah when Rachael Ray was a guest.
Top Review by blueguitargirl1985
This was very good, and very easy. I am only giving it 4 stars tho, because when made as the recipe states, I too found it to be a bit bland. I added more basil, a tablespoon of sugar (needed it to balance the flavor, not to make it sweet) and a good handful of grated Romano cheese. I served it with Recipe# 59626 Cheesecake Factory Romano Chicken, and a thick slice of a good roasted garlic bread. It was really good.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
- coarse salt
- 16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 20 leaves fresh basil, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots. Gently saute shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper as much as you like.
- While sauce simmers, cook pasta in until cooked to al dente.
- Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves.
- This recipe will make enough for 2 couples. To serve a romantic dinner just for 2, reserve half the sauce to freeze for another supper before the addition of basil, and only cook half the pasta.