Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Creamy and sweet with a blast of heat in the finish. Adapted from a recipe by Madhur Jaffrey, as posted by Caroline Russock at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/flhBqZ
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons finely grated coconut (use the frozen kind or use desiccated coconut)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper, finely chopped (such as bird's eye)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 2 hot dried red chilies
- 10 fresh curry leaves or 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced shallots or 2 tablespoons onions, cut into fine half rings
- Bring pineapple, sugar, and 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a small pan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Add the coconut and stir once or twice. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Beat yogurt with a fork or whisk until smooth and creamy. Add the salt, green chili, and cooled pineapple-coconut mix. Stir to mix.
- Put the oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. When shimmering, scatter in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and red chilies. In a few seconds, when the mustard seeds start to pop, add the curry leaves and shallots. Turn heat down to medium. Stir and cook until the shallots start to brown.
- Pour spiced oil over yogurt and stir well to combine. Serve.