1/35 Photos of Yes, Virginia There is a Great Meatloaf
1 hr 20 mins
Nita Holleman's Note:
Absolutely delicious meatloaf and sauce! Those who claim they don't believe there can be such a thing as a great meatloaf will love this. Based on a meatloaf given to me by a dear friend, Virginia Strehl, Memphis, and Leesburg, Fla. Nita Holleman, 2000
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (ground shoulder roast is good)
- 1 slice bread (broken or chopped finely)
- 1 egg
- 1 small vidalia onions or 1 small type sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2-2/3 cup whole milk or 1/2-2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1Meatloaf: Combine meat loaf ingredients and place into a loaf baking dish.
- 2Smooth out top.
- 3Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients and pour on top and sides of meatloaf.
- 4Bake at 350°F about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until done.
- 6*The addition of 1 or 2 teaspoons of Kitchen Bouquet® makes this recipe very good.
- 7**Recipe should be"plump" from the addition of the milk or Half & Half.
- 8It should NOT be runny.
- 9***A second batch of sauce served hot is good to serve with the meatloaf.
- 10Nita's Note: I note that some of you are using game meat such as deer -- Deer is a very DRY meat. It is wise to HAVE some fat added to the deer -- especially to ground deer. Maybe 25 % fat, ( I recommend 1 lb of ground venison, and 1/2 lb of deer sausage for fat content), otherwise your results will be poor. I don't know about some of the other game meat some are using. Please consult and expert. The recipe is delicious as it stands! Enjoy! Nita Holleman.
Browse Our Top Meatloaf Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yes, Virginia There is a Great Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.0
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 165.2 mg
- Sodium 1260.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 35.4 g