Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
States "this was made for Mariah Carey on Sept 12, 2003" in the article. Simple bean and rice recipe. Time is a big guess here. While strolling through the local scandal sheet, I found this recipe in back. No they were not the main motivation for buying that. That had something to do with the Sims2, William, Harry and Charles and the fact Cammy can fight with the best street fighter in the game. However.. This recipe interested me enough to save it. Now that it has been bouncing along my desk top and school is back in session here she be with some mods. Everything is making me think of Sim2 today..
- 3 cups white rice or 3 cups brown rice
- 2 sweet onions, diced
- 14 1⁄2 ounces pigeon peas
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or 1 tablespoon vegetable stock base, dark roasted
- sea salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (melange)
- 6 cups water
- Note if using brown, soak it a bit first and NO it should NOT be crunchy when done.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the rice and turmeric and lightly saute until coated. Add water, salt, base, peas and seasonings.
- Cover and let simmer until water is absorbed. If any water is left, turn off heat and let rest, keeping covered because the rice will continue to cook without burning. Note, check your directions for brown. The above was from the original recipe for white.