Recipe by ellie_
We enjoyed this super fast and easy chili, however I made this on a day when I just wanted to use what I had in the house, so made some changes to the recipe. For example, the original recipe called for 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans - as I didn't have any I used some frozen corn in its place and for the 1 can of black beans I used 1 can of scarlet runner beans which looked more like black kidney beans. Very good chili which although different with my changes was enjoyed by all. This is a very mild chili--but the chili powder can be increased substancialy for a bit more heat. If following the WW flex plan this is 5 points/serving (1 cup with 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream)! Recipe source: WW magazine
Top Review by Kristiina
This was excellent! I ran out of garlic so I just sprinkled some garlic powder in, we also sprinkled low fat cheddar on top instead of the sour cream and chives. It was enjoyed by all, thank you for sharing!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (I think this can probably be skipped and lower the points of this dish)
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (I used a red bell pepper because that is what I had on hand, the original recipe specifies a yellow )
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (you may need more chili powder for chili with more heat, see note in description)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or use the corn as I did, see note in description)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (see note in description)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 scallions, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add beef and cook until browned (3-5 minutes).
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, chili powder and cumin; cook until vegetables are soft (3-5 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes and beans (see my changes in the description), and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chili is thickened (15-20 minutes).
- Serve topped with sour cream and scallions, if desired.