Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an outstanding dish. I always add some shrimp and mushrooms to the dish. I know the shimp adds more points but it is so worth it. Without the shrimp and mushrooms you get 7 points per serving. Serving size is 1 cup. Serve piping hot while it's creamiest. Happy eating.
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 395.10 ml nonfat milk
- 29.58 ml light cream cheese
- 295.73 ml finely shredded fresh parmesan cheese, divide
- 946.36 ml hot cooked fettuccine (cooked without salt or fat, about 8 oz uncooked pasta)
- 9.85 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. (this is where I would add the shrimp).
- Add garlic; saute' 1 minute.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk stirring with a whisk until blended. (I would add mushrooms here).
- Cook 8 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Add cream cheese, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cup Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until cheese melts.
- Pour over fettuccine; toss well to coat.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
I LOVE this recipe. It's the best fettuccine I've ever had! I lightened it even more by skipping the butter and using a tiny bit of olive oil, using reduced fat parm (from the can), whole wheat flour and whole wheat pasta. I also toss in some grated chicken bouillion and powdered onion, and I cut up roasted chicken to toss in as well. I counted 4 points per cup and for taste this good, you can't beat that.
I use to make the "full fat" version of this for my daughter all the time when she was growing up.....she just loved it! Now that she is grown I can't wait to share this low fat version. She'll be very happy to be able to enjoy these flavors again without the guilt. Thanks for sharing! Made for Zaar Stars tag game.
If I hadn't made this myself I would not have believed that this was low fat.....I could diet every day if food tasted this good.!!!<br/>YUM!!!<br/>Made for PRMR.