Top Review by Starrynews
These are very easy to prepare, and the texture is wonderful - these came out so fluffy! When eaten plain, I did notice a tangy after taste from the yogurt (perhaps the brand I used?), but served with some sort of topping, it worked great. We tried it two ways - one sweet with honey topping, and the other was savoury, topped with chicken tinga, sour cream, pico de gallo, and green onions. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup onion, grated
- 1⁄3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute (optional)
- 1 cup yogurt cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix yogurt, water and egg together in bowl; add in cornmeal and baking powder and stir together until batter is moist.
- If you like sweeter cakes, especially for breakfast, add Splenda at same time.
- Let batter stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Quickly fold in corn and grated onions.
- Heat pan over medium heat and lightly coat with cooking spray; add batter to the pan in spoonfuls.
- For best results, keep the cakes 2-3 inches in diameter.
- Let first side cook until tops is dry around the edges; turn and cook other side.
- Serve with a dollop of soft yogurt cheese.