Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you don't want to bake this stuffing inside a 12- to 15-pound turkey, place it in a sprayed 9 x 13-inch baking dish and bake covered at 375°F for 30 minutes, then uncovered until lightly browned, about 15 minutes more. If you want to test it out before making it on Thanksgiving Day, consider doing a half recipe inside a large chicken.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 lb button mushrooms or 1 lb cremini mushroom, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 lb sourdough loaf, left unwrapped on the counter overnight, then torn into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) jarroasted peeled chestnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup pasteurized egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage (crumbled)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and set it over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Return the skillet to medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until they begin to release their liquid. Add the apples and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and the juice in the pan has been reduced to a glaze, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to the large bowl.
- Stir in the bread, chestnuts, broth, egg substitute, sage, thyme, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Stuff into a 12- to 15-pound turkey.
- Serving size: 2/3 cup. POINTS® value per serving: 3.
- (Note: POINTS values can vary slightly for stuffing cooked in a turkey.).