Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I got this from a friend who found it on a gardening forum. I'm not a meat loaf connoisseur by any means but I've made a few. This recipe is by far the best meatloaf I have ever tasted.
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs (tear up soft sliced bread, don't use fine crumbs as for breading)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (or pork & beef)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (Colman's, or similar)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup celery, grated
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix meat with the egg, add onion, seasonings and bread crumbs, green pepper, celery and carrots.
- Add half the tin of tomato sauce and mix everything well.
- Turn mixture into a greased loaf pan or glass casserole dish 8.5 x 11 inches and pour remaining sauce over the top, smoothing it evenly over the meat mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or until no longer pink in center.