Recipe by SD working Girl
I found this recipe years ago on PBS - America's Test Kitchen. It is the only apple pie I will make!! It has just the right amount of seasonings... Best I have ever tasted, and easy to make too!
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 4 mcintosh apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 -9 inches pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel, Core, & Slice apples into a large mixing bowl. Lightly toss with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice while slicing the apples.
- In seperate medium sized mixing bowl, mix together 3/4 cup white sugar, flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, & allspice, mix until well blended.
- Next, pour sugar mixture over the apples. Toss lightly until apples are well covered with the sugar mixture.
- Pour into bottom 9 inch pie shell, then cover with the top 9 inch pie crust. brush top pie crust with melted butter or margarine, and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 425 degrees. Then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and continue to bake for another 30-35 minutes.
- Cool ~ serve with whipped topping or ice cream. Enjoy!