Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is my husband's FAVORITE cookie --- These are best eaten right out of the oven, while they're still warm.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dark unsulphured molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, for topping
- Beat butter and shortening until soft. Slowly add and beat in the 2 cups of granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs and molasses.
- In a second bowl sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and ginger; add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Dough will be soft.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough into 1-inch balls the roll each in the coarse sugar. Place balls about 3 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until slightly cracked on top. Watch carefully toward the end of the cooking time so they don't burn on the bottom. Cool slightly and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.