Prep1 hr 25 mins
Delicious rolls! I made these today, the kneading process was a great outlet for life's daily stresses! :) Prep and cook times are approximate.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Set aside.
- Combine yeast and warm water, and let sit about 5 minutes.
- Add shortening, sugar, salt and 3 cups of the flour.
- Beat with dough whisk or heavy spoon for 2 minutes.
- Fold egg whites into yeast mixture.
- Gradually add flour 1/4 cup at a time, until dough comes together and begins to pull away from bowl.
- Turn onto a floured surface.
- Knead, adding more flour as needed, for 8-10 minutes, until smooth and pliable w/ bubbles.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, and cover with damp towel.
- Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch down, cover and let rise again until double (about 45 minutes.) Punch down and turn out onto lightly oiled surface.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces.
- Use rolling pin to flatten each piece into a 7 inch circle.
- Fold left side to center to form a flap.
- Fold next side into center.
- Repeat all the way around 4 times to make overlapping flaps.
- Lift the first flap to ease the last flap underneath.
- Press center to seal the dough.
- Takes some work, but they look pretty when you get the technique down!
- Place rolls upside down on a well-greased baking sheet, 3 inches apart to help them keep their shape.
- Let rise 30 minutes, turn right side up, let rise 15 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Put a shallow pan on the bottom shelf of oven.
- Lightly brush the rolls with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with poppy or caraway seeds or coarse salt.
- Place 1 cup of ice cubes in the heated pan in oven.
- Immediately put the rolls in and bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown (internal temp will read 190).
- Remove and cool on racks.