Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is *the* best angel food cake recipe, I have made it for years --- make certain that the egg whites are room temperature, and there is no trace of yellow yolk on them, or they will not whip up to the fullest, the almond extract can be replaced with 2 teaspoons vanilla, this cake is wonderful served with a strawberry glaze over it or frost with Light Fluffy Angel Icing (Fat Free) :)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups egg whites (room temperature)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons almond extract
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare an angel food cake pan (ungreased).
- Fift flour and 3/4 cups sugar 4-5 times (this is important!).
- Beat egg whites with salt until stiff.
- Add in the cream of tartar and almond extract; beat again.
- Add in remining sugar (1 tablespoon at a time).
- Add in almond extract.
- Sift or spoon flour mixture over top (a small amount at a time); fold (DO NOT BEAT!) in lightly.
- Pour into ungreased angel food cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour (my cake has even been done in 40 minutes in my air-convection oven).
This was the first time making an angel food cake and I picked the right recipe to try. It was so easy and tasted great. I don't care much for almond, so used the 2 tsp. of vanilla. I'll be baking this again. Thanks for sharing Kitten
Love this. My first time making homemade angel food cake. It turned out marvelous. The only problem is it only lasted about 5 minutes. This cake had a wonderful texture too.
Yes, this is a wonderful angel food cake recipe! this cake really rises very high, and is light as a cloud. I sliced this and topped it with strawberries and glaze, then with some Cool Whip. We loved this! thank you.