Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is such a delicious dinner for any meal - we all love it here, and the biscuit topping is so-o-o-o-o good!!
FOR THE VEGETABLE FILLING
- 4 -5 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 3/4 -inch chunks
- 1 1⁄2 lbs button mushrooms, trimmed and halved, quartered if large
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 large parsnips, peeled, halved lenghtwise, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb leek, white and pale green parts only, sliced into 1/2 inch half-moons and washed well
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- coarse salt and pepper
- 3 cups canned reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
FOR THE CHEDDAR-BISCUIT TOPPING
- 2 -2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon .ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons . cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F Make filling in a bowl, toss vegetables with oil and thyme; season generously with salt and pepper. Divide between two rimmed baking sheets. Roast 25 minutes; toss (if vegetables are sticking, sprinkle up to 1/4 cup water on each sheet). Roast until browned and tender, 20-25 minutes more. Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Raise oven heat to 450°F.
- Meanwhile, make topping: In a large bowl, whish together 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, with some peas-size lunmps. Mix in buttermilk and cheese until combined. With a floured hand, knead dough against side of bowl until it holds together. If it is sticky, knead in up to 1/4 cup more of flour.
- In a small saucepan, bring broth and wine to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch mixture; boil 1 minute. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Drop small mounds of topping on vegetables; bake until brown, 15-20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes; serve.