Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A good winter time meal by itself.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 (10 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (12 ounce) jar mild salsa
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed well,roots and coarse leaves discarded (Add spinach last)
- Remove sausage castings and crumble meat in a 5- to 6-quart pan over med-high heat; stir often until browned.
- Remove meat from pan with slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, and barley to drippings.
- Cook, stirring often, until onion is limp and barley toasted.
- Add broth, parsley, chicken breast, and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until breast is white in thickest part, about 30 minutes.
- Remove breast, let cool, discard skin and bones.
- Shred meat and return to pan.
- Drain beans; add salsa and sausge.
- Heat to simmering.
- Chop spinach and stir into soup.
Yummy soup! Made half a recipe using only sausage. So good with a slice of Italian bread.
This soup was amazing all by itself. I followed the directions except for the meat. I used turkey sausage and turkey breast instead. Delicious!!
This is one of my absolute favorite winter soup recipes. It's hearty and clears the nostrils. YUMMY!