Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The best "sloppy joe's" I've ever tasted. The original recipe I got from another website, but made some changes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced (I use 1/2 pepper)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion (I use 1/2)
- hamburger bun
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Combine remaining ingredients bring to boil, add beef, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve over toasted hamburger buns, open face style.
Some of the family loved these. They had a unique sweet/sour flavor. I felt the sourness of the vinegar was to much. Next time I will use less vinegar and maybe add some hot pepper flakes in it.
My husband made these for dinner this evening and I thought it was great. I would probably adjust it a little for my husband and 3 yo since neither one of them are extremely fond of veges.
Made these tonight for dinner for something that was quick and didn't take any thought. These turned out great. Cooked it in my electric skillet.