The Bacon Cookbook by James Villas
Make and share this Wilted Spinach and Avocado Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach, stemmed, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices lean streaky bacon
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and mustard, and whisk until well blended. Add the sugar, garlic, and salt and pepper; stir well and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, avocado, and onion; set aside.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, and crumble coarsely. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons grease from skillet, add the oil plus the vinegar-mustard mixture, and stir until dressing is hot. Pour dressing over spinach mixture and toss well. Add the bacon and eggs, toss well again, and taste for seasoning. Serve salad immediately.
Wonderful salad, and followed exactly! You can't go wrong here, everything is so balanced and so tasty, I bet you will be stealing bits off your dinner partners plate when they aren't looking. This took minutes to put together, and the taste was as fresh as being outside in the middle of winter. Go ahead, stay home, make this for yourself, your partner, your family. They will love you for it. Made for *Heart Healthy Month* Diabetic Forum February 2010