Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup brown and wild rice mix
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon chicken base (I like Better than boulion)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- boil rice and water covered for 30 minutes.
- add celery, onions, cranberries, butter, cilantro, garlic and chicken base.
- boil covered 10 more minutes.
- then uncover until moisture is absorbed.
Great recipe. What I did differently was cook the wild rice and brown rice separately since I have both on hand. In a large skillet, I sauteed the onions, garlic and celery in butter. When cooked to 'crunchy', I added the dried cranberries, chicken base, and dried cilantro, a little water, mixed it well and then added the rice mixture. When I served it, I added some fresh cilantro leaves. An easy recipe to make with lots of flavor. On top of the pilaf, I served Maple Glazed Port Tenderloin medallions. My wife agreed that this is a 'keeper'. Thanks Lisa
Vey simple to make and VERY, VERY good. I followed the suggestions that Merv made. My friends wanted the recipe before they left that evening!
This is excellent. Also works to saute the onion, celery, and garlic in the butter, then saute the rice, then add broth or water. I actually forgot the cranberries and didn't have cilantro, but it was still great. Since I used homemade chicken broth, it could've used a little salt, but other than that, great.