Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This goes great with almost any meal. My family loves it. Hope you enjoy. I estimated the prep time.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can onion soup or 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix (dissolved in 3/4 - 1 cup hot water)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained and sliced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water
- 1 (6 ounce) box long grain and wild rice blend
- 1⁄2 cup long grain white rice or 1⁄2 cup long grain brown rice
- Combine butter, beef consomme, and onion soup in a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Place in 350 degree oven until butter melts.
- Add water chestnuts, mushrooms, water, and rice with seasonings that are included in box.
- Stir to mix.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered for one hour.
My sister made this for Thanksgiving day and we all raved about it...especially the guys!! LOVE IT!! Thanks for posting..it's a keeper.
Taste was good. Didn't have beef stock so I used chicken stock (served it with chicken/garlic sausage and asparagus). Used Zatarain's New Orleans Wild Rice and Uncle Ben's long grain brown rice. The rice didn't cook right for me in the 1 hr time, then I was worried about it drying out. Good flavor but SALTY, I think I'd use less onion soup packet seasoning in it. We used 2 tbsp. olive oil instead of the butter and it turned out just fine for consistancy. LOVE the water chestnuts in it. Nice texture with that.
Great addition to the 2008 Christmas feast. What a tasty side dish - I'll make it again (often) even on "non-feast" days!