From Bon Appetit October 2005. Success depends completely on the freshest ingredients used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh lemon thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh summer savory
- 1 1/4 lbs fresh wild mushrooms (read *NOTE)
- 1/2 lb brown button mushroom, thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup madeira wine
- 3/4 lb French haricots vert, ends trimmed (or any small, slender green beans)
- 3 tablespoons fresh low sodium vegetable broth or 3 tablespoons fresh chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1*NOTE: Suggested mushrooms for this dish: portobellas, chanterelles, shiitake, oyster, etc.
- 2In a large pot over medium-high heat melt 1/4 cup butter. Add the shallots and thyme, sauteing until shallots begin to brown, approximately 4 minutes.
- 3Add the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Saute the mushroom mixture only until the juices evaporate, about 8-10 minutes. Do not overcook. The mushrooms should NOT be slimy!
- 4Next add the Madeira, tossing with all the ingredients until evaporated, about 1 minute longer. Set pan aside- off burner.
- 5In a medium-sized pot of boiling, lightly salted water blanch the haricots until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to halt cooking. Drain.
- 6Return pan of mushroom mixture to burner and add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Stir in the haricots verts. Toss the vegetables over medium-high heat until the butter has melted and vegetables are heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- 7If mixture is too dry, add some vegetable or chicken broth 1 tablespoon at a time.
- 8Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer vegetables to serving dish and garnish with thyme or summer savory sprig if desired.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Mushrooms, Frenchified Green Beans and Shallot Saute
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.3
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 60.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth