Recipe by Debbwl
Another Heart Healthy recipe. This recipe features Portobellos, but feel free to substitute another variety of wild or cultivated mushroom. Can be made into a vegetarian dish by using vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
Top Review by Shuzbud
Really nice flavour and very healthy! I added some dried garlic towards the end of cooking to boost the garlic flavour and this was lovely with some grated parmesan sprinkled over the top.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 226.79 g portabella mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 295.73 ml pearl barley, uncooked
- 709.77 ml fat-free low-sodium chicken broth or 709.77 ml vegetable broth
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml dill weed, snipped or 9.85 ml dried dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Pour the oil into the pan and swirl to coat the bottom. Cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released some of their juices and the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the barley; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low; cook, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the dillweed.