Eagles Nest Inn, Langley, Washington. Packed with plump, juicy blackberries, this coffee cake is a favorite during the summer months at the Eagles Nest Inn, where blackberries abound. Frozen blackberries can be substituted for fresh; however, if you use frozen berries, plan to bake the cake for an extra 20 minutes. What you don't finish in the morning will keep well for an afternoon snack or evening dessert, even a day or two later. Source: The Best Northwest Places Cookbook (Volume 1)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups wild blackberries, do not thaw if frozen (fresh or frozen)
- 1PREHEAT THE OVEN to 375°F
- 2Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round, deep baking dish such as a quiche dish.
- 3STIR TOGETHER the brown sugar and walnuts in a small bowl; set aside.
- 4COMBINE THE FLOUR, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- 5Whisk in the milk, melted butter, egg, almond or vanilla extract, and nutmeg until smooth and well mixed.
- 6Spread about two-thirds of the batter in the prepared pan.
- 7Sprinkle the coconut evenly over it.
- 8Scatter half of the blackberries over the batter, pushing them slightly into it.
- 9SPOON THE REMAINING BATTER into the dish, gently spreading it toward the edges; you don't need to cover the berries completely.
- 10Scatter the remaining berries over the top.
- 11Sprinkle the brown sugar and walnuts evenly over the berries.
- 12Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- 13Let cool.
- 14FOR THE GLAZE, combine the powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- 15Drizzle the glaze over the coffee cake, beginning in the center and working in a spiral toward the outer edge.
- 16Cut into wedges and serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Blackberry Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.1
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 47.0 mg
- Sodium 246.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 32.4 g
- Protein 7.4 g