From WiGal's Chicken Rice Stove Top Dish. The salt substitute we use is called No Salt, which has no sodium at all. This was made for Make It Healthier Tag. Using homemade broth is usu. a better choice, because it is richer with more flavor and less salt.
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth (pref. homemade)
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt substitute (if broth needs it)
- 1 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- In saucepan, melt margarine and combine with olive oil.
- Add celery & onion and saute until tender. Add garlic for the last minute.
- Add carrots, broth, rice and pepper (and salt sub. if using) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 35 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Stir in chicken and parsley, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes longer or until heated through.