Prep 45 mins
Cook 7 mins
Prep time includes 30 minutes for chilling the dough.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 29.58 ml milk
- 4.92 ml freshly grated lemon zest
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 414.03 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add milk, lemon rind, vanilla and egg; mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; mix well.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Mix the 2 Tbsp sugar with the cinnamon.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll in the cinnamon mixture.
- Place 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing from pan.
You can completely skip the zest and it's still like crack. Awesome recipie.
I used orange zest because I didn't have lemon. They were still wonderful. I also use ground flax as an egg substitute (due to food allergies) and they turned out great!
These were really good cookies! I am so happy to find a 100% whole wheat cookie recipe that my family will eat without question. I used white whole wheat flour, because of its milder flavor, and my hubby was so disappointed when the cookies were gone. A few comments I have is that I'm not sure I'd call them "sugar cookies", because of the spices involved, and the fact that cinnamon is included in the sugar coating (kinda like a snickerdoodle w/lemon flavor). Whatever you decide to call them, they are good. I know that these will be requested very soon, because whenever I can find one recipe that all 8 (yes, eight!) of us agree on, I know I've found a winner! Thanks so much!