1/6 Photos of Whole Wheat Fig Bars
These are delicious and just like the old "Fig Newtons" I remember from when I was a kid. Recipe comes from a very old tattered cookie book that no longer has a cover that belonged to my Mom. They were always a treat around Christmas time.
My Private Note
2x1 inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 78.07 ml vegetable shortening, I use butter or 78.07 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 295.73 ml whole wheat flour
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml orange zest
- 0.25 ml salt
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a large bowl, beat together shortening, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until creamy.
- 3Add all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, orange peel and salt, beating until blended.
- 4Refrigerate dough 1 to 2 hours.
- 5Prepare fig filling and set aside, see below.
- 6On a floured surface, roll dough into 14 inch square.
- 7Cut dough into 4 equal strips, each 14 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide.
- 8Spoon 1/4 of fig filling in a 1 1/2 inch wide mound down center of each strip.
- 9Using a long spatula, lift sides of each dough strip over filling, overlapping slightly on top.
- 10Press edges together to seal.
- 11Cut strips crosswise in half for ease of handling.
- 12Place, seam side down, 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- 13Brush off any excess flour.
- 14Cut each strip into 7 (1 inch) crosswise pieces, but do not separate.
- 15Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until puffed and firm to the touch.
- 16Cool 5 to 10 minutes on baking sheets; then cut apart and remove to racks to cool completely.
- 17Fig Filling.
- 18In a medium saucepan, combine figs, water, lemon or orange juice and granulated sugar.
- 19Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- 20Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally; cool.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Fig Bars
Serving Size: 1 (1123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 58.2
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 6.6 mg
- Sodium 25.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 0.9 g