Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The original recipe was from Everyday Cheapskate and called for white flour. I experimented a bit to make it healthier and use whole wheat flour. My kids beg me to make this.
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix just until incorporated. I use a Kitchenaid mixer, but it could be done by hand. The dough will be VERY wet and sticky.
- Let it rise until double in size.
- Spoon the dough into two well-greased loaf pans. Let rise in the pans until the dough reached the tops of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Ten minutes before done, brush with melted butter. Cool on wire racks.