Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This bread is great with chili or stew
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- Combine the corn meal,flour,baking powder,and salt.
- Add the honey,oil,milk and eggs.
- Mix just enough to moisten the batter.
- Pour the batter into an oiled 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degree oven for 20-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Delicious recipe! I also cut everything in half and used an 8x8 pan. I also cut the honey and oil in half again and couldn't tell a difference. Then added 1/2 c fresh chopped jalapeno and 1/2 c fresh chopped onion. This couldn't be beat!
This was a nice cornbread. I was looking for a little more cornmeal and a little less flour, something kind of rustic. We are quite used to using whole wheat and other whole grains at our house but I could see how this could be a good recipe to try for someone who wants to branch out from a "Jiffy" or white flour recipe. This is not a super moist, "cakey" cornbread but it is not dry and crumbly either. It has a nice texture and a lightly sweet taste.
The best cornbread I've baked! My family is always a bit skeptical when I announce, "New recipe!", but we all loved it. Very moist -- I recommend making it as directed.