Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
a quick bread that has no yeast; from jean pare
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄2 cups soured milk
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- in large bowl comine all six dry ingredients.
- stir to combine throughly.make a well in the center.
- in a small bowl put buttermilk, molasses and oil.
- stir untill molasses has thinned and mixed in, pour into well.
- stir just enough to combine.
- turn into greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes.
- remove from pan to cool.
- note; graham flour can be used instead of whole wheat.1.
Love the recipe. I made it with water and canola oil. I added 1/4 cup extra water. Turned out wonder - crunchy exterior and soft doughy interior. Love, love, love!
Great recipe! Didn't change anything. This bread is a little on the sweet side but actually still works for some types of sandwiches. I've made it a few times already ... DH says it is outstanding :-)
I did change a lot so I won't have the most accurate rating. For the buttermilk I used 1 1/2 c skim milk and 1 1/2 T vinegar, let it sit for 5 min. I had some graham cracker crumbs, I added about 1/2 cup of that in place of some of the wheat flour. I just threw out the bigger pieces the sifter didn't get. I used 1/8 c honey and 1/8 c molasses. I also used 1/8 c applesauce and 1/8 vegetable oil. The bread is very good, especially with peanut butter.